[ Summary ]
Microsoft Windows kernel is prone to a remote code-execution vulnerability when handling a specially crafted TrueType font. An attacker can exploit this issue by tricking an unsuspecting victim into opening a malicious file or visiting a website containing malicious content.
This vulnerability is being exploited in the wild by W32.Duqu.
[ Affected Systems ]
· Windows XP Service Pack 3
· Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2
· Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
· Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition Service Pack 2
· Windows Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium-based Systems
· Windows Vista Service Pack 2
· Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 2
· Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 2**
· Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 2**
· Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems Service Pack 2
· Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems and Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 1
· Windows 7 for x64-based Systems and Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 1
· Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 1**
· Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-based Systems Service Pack 1
**Server Core installation not affected. This vulnerability does not apply to supported editions of Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 as indicated, when installed using the Server Core installation option.
[ Impact Analysis ]
An attacker can exploit this issue to execute arbitrary code with kernel-level privileges. Failed exploit attempts may result in a denial-of-service condition.
[ Solution/Workaround ]
Currently, there is no patch for this vulnerability. Users should adopt the following mitigating strategies:
· Run all software as a nonprivileged user with minimal access rights.
· Deploy network intrusion detection systems to monitor network traffic for malicious activity.
· Do not accept or execute files from untrusted or unknown sources.
· Do not follow links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.
[ Reference ]